“Dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of natural lands for the benefit of native biological diversity, science and education, and public enjoyment.“

Founded in 1992

You are welcome to use any of the photographs on this site, but if you do, please credit:


Note: From 1992-2018, Keweenaw Natural Areas (KNA) was known at the North Woods Conservancy (NWC).

The name was changed to more accurately represent

our location and mission.     

Welcome to the KNA Website. Thanks for visiting!

Keweenaw Natural Areas Announces Acquisition of Great Sand Bay Frontage

Keweenaw Natural Areas (KNA) has acquired 550’ of Great Sand Bay shoreline, adding to the adjacent Michigan Nature Association (MNA) Redwyn Dunes Preserve.  The property has deeded access off M-26 and will be open to the public every day during daylight hours (no fee, no camping, no fires, enter and swim at your own risk).  The purchase price was $342,000; 90% was donated by a long-time KNA member who chooses to remain anonymous. The remaining 10% ($34,200) must be raised over the next year.

We are happy to add to the protected property in the area, and give the public new and better access to a beautiful sand beach” says John Griffith, KNA President.

KNA was recently forced to sell Lot 24 of the Seven Mile Point subdivision due to restricted access on a private road.  It was a wonderful place people were able to visit for over 20 years.  The KNA Board was relieved and happy that the buyer was another conservation organization so the habitats and species at Lot 24 are protected in perpetuity, but the public guest access KNA negotiated over the private road on weekends in season (24-32 days per year) was terminated with the sale.  "KNA is extremely happy to be able to provide this new beach access at Great Sand Bay, located off a public road with no access restrictions” Griffith said. 

Signage and a defined parking area and trail to the beach are planned for 2024.  If you are interested in helping KNA complete these tasks, or to donate funds to raise the final 10% needed (200 people giving $171 each would do it, or 400 at $85.50; or any amount -- all donations are gratefully accepted!), please visit www.KeweenawNaturalAreas.org, contact KNA at KeweenawNaturalAreas@gmail.com, or mail a check to KNA, PO Box 124, Calumet, MI 49913. All donations are tax deductible.

KNA Great Sand Bay Natural Area (foreground; beyond is Redwyn Dunes and the rest of Great Sand Bay)

Keweenaw Natural Areas

PO Box 124

Calumet, Michigan 49913

906 370-3248